Panagbenga in two parts.


The first part.
Since I half-moved to Baguio (half because a major chunk of my life is still in Quezon City where my family - pets included - and friends and books are), I vowed not to attend the city's annual flower (and shawarma, the locals say, which I saw - and smelled - for myself) festival because people. Then again a part of me is a sucker for spectacles and such, and some of my friends happened to be in Baguio at the same time, and so I guess the opportunity presented itself.

What better time to take out the film cameras I asked my sister to bring to Baguio when they came for a visit last November? It's been a while since I last used my film cams, and my hands had been itching to take photos using something other than a smartphone.
A mirror self-portrait at Canto @ Arellano.

The first part of my Panagbenga experience involved three guys who came from Manila.
Say hi to Arthur, Paul, and Mindy.

When photographer extraordinaire Erick told me that these guys - fellow film photographers - were coming to Baguio for the Panagbenga, I told him I wasn't planning to dive into the mosh pit that is the festival crowd. But then I got to talk to Paul, who said they were headed to Mines View (near where I live), and that part of me that craved shooting won over that part that just wanted to hibernate.


So I met up with the guys. Paul and Mindy I've known from way back when lomography was starting to really get a foothold in the country. They introduced me to Arthur, who's starting a career in butchery. Not kidding.

After meeting up at Mines View we went to Canto in Arellano Street for lunch (lomo ribs!!!), then from there to The Mansion and Wright Park, where we frolicked among the trees and where Paul made friends with this tall, dark, and handsome fella.

From Wright Park it was just another few meters to the Botanical Garden.

It was really sunny and hot that day. Good thing Arthur found refreshments.

There was this semi-dilapidated building with walls made of soil and glass bottles. It was locked but only had chicken wire for a gate, so I snuck my lens in and took this shot.


Really doesn't look like a greenhouse. Based on the clothing and houseware, I think some workers live there, or rest there.

We headed to the tunnels made by the Japanese during WWII. Lots of dark, damp corners (and kids and adolescents giggling here and there). I saw a lady venturing around in heels.

Heat plus distance traveled equals thirst and exhaustion, so our next stop was the Ili-likha Artist Village where we had real refreshments. Took a cab to this time. 






I wanted to make friends with the cats. They didn't want me.

I still had work to do, so when our shakes were all slurped out, we headed to Session where we parted ways.
Weird facial expressions ftw.

The second part.

Every Panagbenga, Session Road becomes off-limits to motorists, and for a week the street becomes a food, shawarma, book, souvenir, shawarma, leather jacket, shoes, shawarma, shirts, and knickknacks hub.

For this Panagbenga foray, I walked along Session with Baguio-based-but-currently-working-in-Manila Ryan, whom I first met last year in Baguio Craft Brewery when Marky of Nomadic Experiences introduced him along with Ayan, another awesome chap. [The four of us, with a little bit of Kraken still in our systems, would go on to hike the Yellow Trail in Camp John Hay a few hours later.] Ryan was able to come home to Baguio during Panagbenga week, so yay.

Ryan and I instantly bonded over tea and a trek up Mt. Ulap in January (I still have to write about that, oops) and we were planning on checking out the Eco-Trail in CJH next, but it drizzled a bit that day so we just opted to see what "Session in Bloom" had to offer.



While waiting for Ryan I did some people-watching. I much prefer street musicians like the guy in the photo than those annoying folks dressed up as robots and toy soldiers playing stop-dance. Sometimes I just want to push them out of annoyance, really. Ok, points for the effort, but they just plain irritate me. I wonder what happens if I pour a gang of cockroaches down their spray-painted costumes - will they move out of character?




Ninja!


A hoodied Ryan arrived and the first thing we did was get burgers in Porta Vaga. Because Barney's.
Unicycling!
Up and down Session we went, checking out stuff and trying to avoid being run over by a man on wheel.

Walking on stilts.
Has anyone ever tried kicking one of those stilts? Is my mean streak showing? (For the record, folks on stilts are ok in my book.)



When we got tired of the shawarma stands in Session, we headed over to Burnham for more shawarma stands (it seems Baguio hasn't moved on from the shawarma craze). Ended up having dinner in Baliwag, where we had sisig and sinigang.

Were there many people? Yes, but not as many as before, said another Baguio friend.

Will I attend again? I think so, to shoot and perhaps find a good spot to sketch as well.

--
Camera: Nikon F80
Film: Kodak Ultima 100

No comments:

Post a Comment